Mold Testing Reveals Source of Family Illness

Imagine watching your dream home warp into its own nightmare. Such was the experience of the Lilly’s, whose treasured home in Longmont, Colo. became a twisted version of the American dream when the air in their house made themselves and daughter repeatedly sick. The culprit? Mold, caused by shoddy construction and a contractor’s refusal to take responsibility for the problem.

“We’ve had problems since the day we moved in,” said John Lilly, the homeowner, told CBS News. “Two-and-a-half months into it we had another water leak upstairs that we noticed because water was dripping into our kitchen.”

The family contacted the builder, Meritage Homes, who identified the source- faulty plumbing due to improper installation. Since the home was under a one year warranty, contractors made the repairs, but that was just the beginning of the problem.

Mold Identified

The family hired a professional to do mold testing, who confirmed mold was still a problem. Doctors said the mold was the cause of the family’s illnesses. Yet John Lilly maintains Meritage Homes refused to take responsibility for the mold.

The problems caused the family to move into a temporary apartment, and even sleep in a tent at times. It has cost them thousands of dollars and health problems. The  construction company continues to refused to remediate the mold.

It Doesn’t Just Look Gross: The Surprising Side Effects of Mold in Your Home

Breaks in winter weather can often lead to mold in your home. Mold likes to grow in damp, dark places, eating away at natural products—like the wood and wallpaper of your walls.  Mold releases spores into the air, and people sensitive to mold can have allergic reactions. It’s always a good idea to have any suspected mold tested if you have respiratory issues.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) cautions on its website:

“Rarely, some patients can have a more serious illness called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. In this condition, there is both an allergic and an inflammatory response to the mold. Symptoms may include severe wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath, much like asthma.”

Here is what you should know about mold in your home.

  • Allergic reactions to mold are similar to reactions to irritants found in dust or pollen: sneezing, running nose, itchy and watery eyes, coughing.  Some other reactions can include rashes or asthma.
  • Good news? Many people go throughout the day exposed to mold spores and are just fine.  For those who are sensitive, taking certain precautions—like antihistamines—can make you more comfortable.
  • However, finding large splotches of mold in your household is not a good sign.  It is often an indication of either poor ventilation or water damage. It is important to thoroughly dry any area that has suffered water damage. Also be sure to check your basement sump pump to ensure moisture is not escaping into your home.
  • Mold is one of the basic problems checked for in a house inspection when buying or selling a home. If present, it often indicates that there is either a previous or currently existing problem. For the integrity of the house’s structure, mold tests and remediation can help to fix the problem.
  • On rare occasions, mold can be toxic.  Typically, toxic molds are black molds—though not all black molds are toxic.  Toxic mold can cause you to feel severely ill, so you might feel as if you are constantly suffering sicknesses, when in truth you are reacting to the mold spores that you are breathing in.  Constant exposure can lead to death.

What can you do to get rid of mold in your house?  Toxic or not, you do not want mold growing rampant.  Have a professional perform a mold test and remediation, which will help to treat the problem.  At Environmental Doctor, we know how to take care of mold.  In fact, all of our services—from duct cleaning to radon testing and mitigation—are dedicated to making your home safe and livable.

It Doesn’t Just Look Gross: The Surprising Side Effects of Mold in Your Home

Breaks in winter weather can often lead to mold in your home. Mold likes to grow in damp, dark places, eating away at natural products—like the wood and wallpaper of your walls.  Mold releases spores into the air, and people sensitive to mold can have allergic reactions.

Here is what you should know about mold in your home.

  • Allergic reactions to mold are similar to reactions to irritants found in dust or pollen: sneezing, running nose, itchy and watery eyes, coughing.  Some other reactions can include rashes or asthma.
  • Good news? Many people go throughout the day exposed to mold spores and are just fine.  For those who are sensitive, taking certain precautions—like antihistamines—can make you more comfortable.
  • However, finding large splotches of mold in your household is not a good sign.  It is often an indication of either poor ventilation or water damage. It is important to thoroughly dry any area that has suffered water damage. Also be sure to check your basement sump pump to ensure moisture is not escaping into your home.
  • Mold is one of the basic problems checked for in a house inspection when buying or selling a home. If present, it often indicates that there is either a previous or currently existing problem. For the integrity of the house’s structure, mold tests and remediation can help to fix the problem.
  • On rare occasions, mold can be toxic.  Typically, toxic molds are black molds—though not all black molds are toxic.  Toxic mold can cause you to feel severely ill, so you might feel as if you are constantly suffering sicknesses, when in truth you are reacting to the mold spores that you are breathing in.  Constant exposure can lead to death.

What can you do to get rid of mold in your house?  Toxic or not, you do not want mold growing rampant.  Have a professional perform a mold test and remediation, which will help to treat the problem.  At Environmental Doctor, we know how to take care of mold.  In fact, all of our services—from duct cleaning to radon testing and mitigation—are dedicated to making your home safe and livable.

4 Effective Ways of Treating the Health Hazards Lurking in Your Home

clean air concept

There are many hazards hidden inside your home that can be very dangerous to your health. What’s most concerning about home health hazards is their inability to be seen. This video highlights some of the dangers of household mold. Your air ducts could be full of dust and dirt that is aggravating your allergies, or radon might be seeping into your home, slowly making you sick. However, each of these health hazards can be treated by a professional as described below:

Duct Cleaning

Have the ducts of your HVAC heating and air system cleaned in order to maximize your air conditioner’s efficiency and remove dust, pollen and other debris from your home. Duct cleaning is especially important for allergy sufferers because it has been proven to prevent health problems, including allergic reactions.

Radon Testing & Mitigation

When soil and rock erodes, uranium can seep into your home through cracks or holes in your foundation. Radon is colorless, odorless and tasteless, meaning that many people live with it in their homes without realizing it. This dangerous substance increases your risk of lung cancer and is a major health hazard, so if you are concerned, then contact a radon testing and mitigation company.

Mold Testing

Mold is a part of our natural environment, but in homes it can cause property damage as well as adverse health effects. It is almost impossible to eliminate all molds and mold spores, but many can be removed, resulting in a cleaner household. Hire a professional to test your home for mold and mitigate fungus if necessary.

Water Treatment

Although it may look clear, your drinking water has many pollutants floating in it, such as bacteria or chemicals that put your health at risk. Call a water treatment professional for a water filtration system that can improve your drinking water and your health.

For all of these health-enhancing treatment options, contact the Environmental Doctor. Since 1989 we have been providing customers with healthy and efficient solutions to the many contaminants that can affect your household. As a family-owned business, we are committed to the health of you and your family, so call (937) 319-4074 today!